A visual gallery of UX/UI projects and additional design concepts.See More
I conducted a website audit to examine the information architecture, web page content, functionality, and design aesthetic. I noted some usability issues related to the sizing, spacing, accessibility, and usefulness of various page elements. From there, I began to draft questions to help frame the direction of the redesign.
The first step was to get an understanding of the problem space through the perspectives of the business and the user. I also examined how competitors display writers’ rooms on their websites.
Business Research: What value does the business provide content creators that competitors cannot? At the end of the day, who are the business’s biggest threats?
Competitor Research: What sets Hollywood Offices apart from other commercial real estate companies, co-working spaces, and entertainment production studios in the business of leasing office space?
User Research: How do prospective tenants in the content creation industry search for office space? What is their criteria? How much time do they spend searching? What are their challenges? How do they decide what will be a good fit?
Research revealed that a dynamic shift in the content creation business model directly influenced user behavior. The traditional “Pilot Model” produces TV shows seasonally over the course of one year. By contrast, the new “Script-to-Series Model” produces TV shows all year by incubating ideas in writers’ rooms for 1-3 months.
The person(s) assigned to finding office space options varies from project to project. Titles include showrunner, associate producer, and production coordinator. Users with fewer industry connections are more likely to supplement their efforts with a Google search. The following persona embodies a user with a limited network tasked with quickly narrowing the search to a few viable options.
Most of the user’s pain points were easy to address. For the most part, Hollywood Offices’ business model was aligned with the users’ basic needs; their compatibility simply needed to be communicated more clearly.
Early versions of the designs incorporate high-impact solutions to the users’ pain points. Since Google Analytics indicated that most visitors accessed the website from a mobile device, we took a mobile-first approach and later user tested the prototype on mobile.
The structure of the landing page fits within the framework for long-form landing page best practices: hero, product section, benefits, social proof (testimonials, client logos), and call to action.
Some adjustments were made to the existing style guide to reflect a more reliable, accommodating, and experienced tone. We desaturated the original colors and established a clean, modern photographic style.
Users were recruited to test the website for comprehension and to see if the website addressed users' anticipated questions and concerns. Users were excited for this industry-specific web solution and responded positively to the company logos. However, they also wanted to see more images of the space and to know what to expect if they filled out the contact form.
Figma is a great collaboration tool. Mid-way through the project, I transferred the work space from Sketch to Figma so that both the client and myself could make edits simultaneously. This new dynamic was a game-changer for our workflow.
Stay focused on the MVP. A lot of time was spent redesigning each screen to accommodate new features. I learned it’s more effective to establish and focus on the primary solutions that the design offers the user before building more onto the design.